7.08.2005

en route to norway

Tuesday was my second day at sea, and the ship became an entirely different environment with students, families, and seniors all going between classes and meals. It’s a really strange feeling to be on a huge ship that is constantly rocking back and forth (like a giant cradle actually – I sleep so well!) It’s also lonely in a sense to not see anything but water in all directions… it’s pretty exciting if we see other boats or pass land (though sometimes disruptive to class!)

Sadly, I got really really ill on Monday which has lasted for several days. Not sea sick, just all over sick (with a random ear infection) and so I had to spend a good bit of time going to the health clinic which made catching up in classes even more of a challenge. I slept a lot during the day to feel better, which is a funny situation on a ship because at least once I woke up and saw our cabin steward scampering out of the room because he had realized I was in it (and was about to try and clean). I wish I were feeling better all around so that I could be making a speedier academic come-back while also exploring more of Norway, but then again I am really glad to have made this trip at all, given how sick I was at the end of the school year! It is kind of comforting though, to have a familiar face aboard in the way of one of my nurses (Jane) from UC Santa Cruz. She’s so nice – she had met Amy before I arrived and said she had a surprise for me and she did! I came home from class on Tuesday to find a bag of Marini’s salt-water taffy on my cabin door with a note that just said “From your Santa Cruz connection!” I guess her daughter, Sierra, works at Marini’s and made it as well, yum! Anyhow, I’m just going to try to rest a little more and prioritize what I want to see and do when we’re in port, and I think I will still have a fantastic time roaming Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home